Did You Know??
- Raw honey (honey extracted without heat and with minimal filtering) will never spoil. Edible jars of honey were found in the tombs of Egyptian Pharaohs
- The flavour and colour of honey comes from the nectar and pollen collected by the bees
- Darker honeys generally have a higher mineral content
- Lighter honeys generally have a higher vitamin C content and are usually sweeter
- Honey produces energy in our bodies quicker than sugar
- One worker bee produces enough honey in a day to fill the head of a pin
- Honey is the only natural food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life, including water
- Honey is primarily a food reserve for the hive
- Most honey sold commercially comes from one species of honeybee Apis Mellifera which was introduced to Australia in 1822
- Nectar collected is carried in a special honey stomach; pollen is carried in ‘baskets’ on the hind legs.